.honouringanzacs.net.au Honouring ANZACS
| Home | About | Public Registration | Public Login | Support |School Registration | Schools Login | Login FAQ's | Logout |
Search Anzacs by name
Search town Anzacs born in
Search town Anzacs enlisted from

Click here to Honour this Anzac by placing a poppy

Harvey, Hugh Thomas    Create Anzac Certificate
Place of Birth: Murrurundi, NSW, Australia

Service Number: 4428

Place of Enlistment: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Next of Kin: Harvey, William (father)

Click Here to view the Journal of Hugh Thomas Harvey.

Add stories you know about Hugh Thomas, upload images, or submit a tribute. Enrich the legacy and history of Hugh Thomas Harvey.

If you have created a certificate to honour Hugh Thomas,
the certificate will also appear in the Journal.
Tribute Title
Image titles
Add images... Allowed file types: jpg, gif, png

Company Sergeant-Major Hugh Thomas HARVEY 4428 POW
Submitted by: Kim Cummins

Hugh Thomas Harvey was born in Murrurundi NSW. He was 24 years of age when he enlisted on the 13th December 1915 at Casula NSW.He was only 5ft, 5 1/2 inches with blue eyes & black hair. He embarked from Sydney per "Nestor" on the 9th April 1916. On the 29th May 1916, her embarked from Alexandria and disembarked at Plymouth on the 7th June 1916. He contracted a VD and was sent to hospital on the 24th October 1916. On the 16th December 1916 he admitted to Bulford Military Hospital. 11 days later, he was charged with going AWOL, for 11 days, and deprived of 18 days pay. On the 24th January 1917, he proceeded overseas to France per "Princess Clementine" and was taken on strength in France on the 10th February 1917. By the 27th March 1917, he again went AWOL at "Rollestone" and is deprived of 21 days pay. He also spends 168 hours in detention. On the 3rd May 1917 he was reported "Missing" in France. He was captured at Bullecourt by the German Forces and became a Prisoner of War whilst suffering a shrapnel wound. A report was sent to Base Records, Melbourne on the 14th September 1917, advising that Company Sergeant-Major H.T. Harvey was interned at Kreigsgefangenenlager, Meresburg, Germany. His next of kin was recorded as William Harvey on German Records. He was housed at Camp Munster, Block 4, Room 10. He was suffering from a wound to his left arm & throat & was operated on successfully. He was repatriated at Ripon on the 26th December 1918 to England and granted leave on the 30th December 1918. He reported to Headquarters on the 1st February 1919 and returned to Australia per "A H.T. Nevasa" on the 23rd April 1919. 

Report inappropriate tribute

Images sourced from Commonwealth of Australia (National Archives of Australia) are displayed under the following copyright conditions:
© Commonwealth of Australia (National Archives of Australia) 2013.

© HonouringAnzacs
Honouring Veterans
friendly website: Coles Catalogue | Target Catalogue | Woolworths Catalogue | Kmart Catalogue